The arts are a critical part of a well-rounded education in the modern world. At Stratford Hall, our students are exposed to a variety of arts instruction in PYP, MYP and DP.
Art stimulates young imaginations, challenges perceptions and develops creative and analytical skills. Involvement in the arts encourages students to understand the arts in context and the cultural histories of artworks, thus supporting the development of an inquiring and empathetic world view.
The visual arts are an integral part of everyday life, permeating all levels of human creativity, expression and understanding. They range from traditional forms embedded in local and wider communities, societies and cultures, to the divergent practices associated with new, emerging and contemporary forms of visual language.
- Music 3x per week in PYP
- Focus on music and movement – the Orff philosophy is used to teach students
- Taiko drumming introduced in MYP
Visual Art Instruction
- Visual art instruction is incorporated into units of inquiry in PYP, supported by the expertise of the Visual Arts Learning Specialist
- A visual arts elective is introduced in the MYP
- Visual art is also offered as a Diploma Programme course. This course encourages students to challenge their own creative and cultural expectations and boundaries. It is a thought-provoking course in which students develop analytical skills in problem solving and divergent thinking while working towards technical proficiency and confidence as art-makers. In addition to exploring and comparing visual arts form, students are expected to engage in, experiment with and critically reflect upon a wide range of contemporary practices and media. This course is designed for students who want to go on to study visual arts in higher education, as well as for those seeking lifelong enrichment through visual arts.
Theatre & Circus Instruction
- Co-curricular theatre clubs offered in PYP
- Theatre is actively used in PYP Spanish instruction
- Theatre is offered as an elective course in MYP
- Circus is offered as an elective course in MYP
- Theatre and Visual arts are also offered in the DP